Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy New Year!


I know it's Jan 18th but better late than never. Things are kind of in a whirlwind. The night shift position is not working out. I'm afraid I'm not 25 anymore and I cannot go 2 days without sleep. Those of you who would like to say "I told you so" because you remember the last time I tried nights may go ahead and say it! I really thought I could do anything if I had to, but sleeping in route home from work is just not acceptable - and that's what I've been doing. - Very scary. The unit does not have day shift openings - which is no real disappointment. This unit would maybe be ok if you didn't have experience or if you needed constant direction. Let me give you an example - the medical director actually asked me if I had washed my hands before I went into an isolette! All I could say was "excuse me???????" There is no autonomy and that's kind of hard to take after working in PACU and NICU. So, I'm very quickly trying to find something else - DAY SHIFT! This means that Jordyn will go to full time preschool. I'm finally beginning to think she is ready - although others have told me this for some time. Last week Jordyn went for her first speech therapy appointment (the eval was back in the fall). The ST said Jordyn had met all the goals she set in the fall and she didn't think Jordyn even needed speech therapy! Her recommendation? - school. So, I'm looking at schools and I've found a great school that only has 20 children - and only 8 of those are preschoolers. The ratio is 8:1 which is the lowest I could find. Many were 20:1. This school is partnered with Duke which means employees get first open spaces. Amazingly - they just had a preschool opening due to a relocation by a parent. We go for a tour on Thursday. Now, I have to find a job! Jordyn is doing so well and changing so fast. She has gained 6 pounds and has grown 3 inches - our 6 month anniversary is Jan 21st. She remains eager to learn and picks up new things very quickly. She is a sweet little girl with an amazing resiliency and zeal for life. Everyone who knows her adores her. As for me, I cannot imagine what I did before Jordyn. As for pictures, I haven't taken any since Christmas! But as soon as I get off these nights, I will make up for it. My best to everyone -
"I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten..." Joel 2:25

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim-I would never say 'I told you so', but I will tell you that I know I could not ever work nights again, no matter what my motivation was! I can't believe we did what we did week after week! We WERE younger, but I am pretty sure NOW that I felt like crap THEN. The school thing is working out and the job will, too. Jordyn is beautiful and smart, and what a wonderful life you are giving her!

Les said...

Funny, Joshua has grown over 2 inches and gained pounds in the last six months too.