Friday, March 20, 2009

A Look Back: March 20th 2008




March 20th 2008 9:30am. I'm busy with a patient in the pacu when my cell phone rings. It is my agency coordinator - she wants to know if I have a minute. No, I say, I'm very busy - slighty annoyed that she called my cell. I tell her I'll call her back when I get a break. I continue working as I process the phone call. My coordinator calls periodically to see how I'm doing with "the wait" but she NEVER calls my cell phone. Why would she call my cell??? - UNLESS - but it can't be. I was told another family was chosen. But why would she call my cell? It seems forever until I can call her back - and help me, she's not at her desk! By now I'm sure it has something to do with this child. There would be no other reason for her to call my cell. Finally, she calls - YES - it is about this child. Shangguan Haoyun is available for adoption. I can hardly breathe as I agree to the next step - reviewing the scarce information China decides to share. I go back to work but I'm useless. The information comes later today via e-mail - with 4 pictures. But wait - she looks different in 2 of the pictures. I seriously doubt it's the same child. My agency is closed for the weekend so I'll have to wait to see if they made a mistake. But wait - didn't I just dream this last week? Thus begins an incredible journey.

No comments: