Monday, July 28, 2008

2 More Sleeps

Hi all - it's Monday night in Guangzhou. As your day is beginning, ours is winding down. My dossier passed the consulate with no questions this morning. I got the all clear call around 11am. We went to a museum today but Jordyn fell asleep right as we drove in so we stayed on the bus - which was fine. We went back to Shamian Island for only 1 hour - not nearly long enough. We went to only one shop - Jordons. Owned by a Chinese Christian - he said he named it after the Jordan River. For every adopted child who comes through his shop, he does a drawing of their names in Chinese - free of charge. He told me the Chinese name for Jordyn is Ming - boy or girl (he is just getting used to girls with this name). I bought a few things but I still wish there was more time for shopping. I could go back on my on - in a taxi - and I probably would if it was just me. We went to dinner at The Banana Leaf - Thai food and it was excellent. Lots of atmosphere! We were told it was very pricey - I wasn't sure what that meant exactly. The guides ordered for us - family style - and it comes around on a lazy susan. I've never seen so much food - and my bill was 80 yuan or about $12. I had one tired little girl when we got back! We are free tomorrow until 1:30 - we are having a group picture here at the hotel and then another one at the White Swan Hotel on Shamian Island. They have the famous red couch where adoptive families take the famous "red couch" photo of the children. Everyone is dressing the children in Chinese clothing - silk - if they have it. I bought Jordyn several outfits in various sizes so I guess we will dress up. Hopefully, I'll have a picture for you tomorrow night! After the photos, we go to the consulate for the "swearing in ceremony". I'm not sure what time we leave Wed but I imagine it will be early. The flight from Guangzhou to Beijing is 3-4 hours and our flight from Beijing to Washington leaves at 6:30 pm. Because of the games, security is extremely tight at the airports - you must be there 2 hours ahead for any flight. They even had dogs in Beijing sniffing all the luggage. There is one family leaving tomorrow evening and several going back through Tokyo leaving at 5:30 Wed morning. I'm asking everyone to please pray that Jordyn will be very sleepy on the long flight and will be able to sleep (it will be her nighttime although it will not get dark). Please pray too that she will not get sick this time. Pray that she will not get too stir crazy - she is a very active young lady! Thank you!

6 comments:

InGod'sHands said...

Kim, I just finished praying for you and Jordyn. I have also specifically prayed that God would meet even your small needs and that you would feel His presence greatly during this transition time.

Blessings,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are doing well! I love reading the updates, and she is really cute.
Take care! Good luck on the flight!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim,

We will be praying for you as you return home. I look forward to meeting Jordyn soon. She is a cutie! We love you, Paige

Anonymous said...

What an amazing journey you have had...and another one just begining! It has been wonderful for me to be able to share in your days. I'm so happy for you and Jordyn!

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Congratulations on this most precious of journeys. She appears quite relaxwd in her photos and it is apparent you are both welcoming this next phase in her life. Wait til she gets home and has so many new flavors to expereince.
Sending this from Durham, not Uganda- more on that later.
Have a safe trip home.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Kim, the flight will go so fast...you will be surprised...fortunate for you there are other adoptive parents returning to the States as well and you all can help each other out. I'm continiuing to pray for you and Jordyn...you both are in God's hands and he will answer all the prayers of your heart! Take care "Momma"...Karen Ferguson