Saturday, July 26, 2008

Guangzhou!







Hi all from Guangzhou! We arrived late last night and my dear daughter has motion sickness like her mom so we had lots of clean up to do when we got to the hotel. She did great on the flight other than that! So, I'm wondering about the 17 hours of flying time on Wed!!!! Guangzhou is huge - 10 million people but very international. Almost everyone speaks English it seems. The hotel is awesome - we have a suite! There is a McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut next door. All the families are back from the provinces where they received their children so we are all here together now - 13families and about 40 people total. There is another 4 year old and several two and three year olds along with the babies. We all went to an Italian restaurant tonight that was very good - finally something that tastes good! It is a safer place to be out walking - although the driving is just as bad, the sidewalks are much better! We took the kids for their medical exams today - well, lets just call it a formality. Jordyn did great - they spoke to her in Chinese and she obeyed them. The kids also had their pictures taken for the Visa. Then we went to a shopping center - much like Walmart. I was amazed at the rice - they have huge wooden bins filled with it and the people were filling up sacks of it to buy. I spent an hour looking at all the products trying to figure out what they were. I did manage to find the diet Pepsi and Pringles. The milk is not refrigerated here - you buy it off the shelve. Jordyn loves milk - and I did put hers in the fridge at the hotel! This afternoon we had our paperwork party. It was almost 2 hours of filling out the remaining forms in order to bring the kids back to the US. One of the families has 2 teenage daughters with them and one of them came to our room to babysit Jordyn. She even took Jordyn back to her room to play with her new little sister. I forgot to mention that another family's teenage son took care of all of my luggage at the airport yesterday - would not let me touch a bag - even my carryon. I also found out that a family I'm especially fond of is seated right behind us on the flight back to Washington! They have adopted a 2 year old son and he is enchanted with Jordyn. We've decided to let the kids have one row and we'll sit on the other :) They have told me that they will help will my luggage in Washington going through customs. All this to say that the Lord is faithful and has taken care of every detail - every little concern that has crossed my mind. Thank you all for praying and following our journey! Four more sleeps and we'll be on our way home. The remainder of our time is free - we are going shopping on Shaiman Island tomorrow and Tuesday (I think). We do have a swearing in ceremony - I think it's Tuesday as well. This time is while we wait for the Visas for the kids to enter the US. The adoption was final on July 22, by the way. "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I think the pictures and the child (my Jordyn) are beautiful. Can't wait to see you both. Luke and Noel are doing great but miss you I know.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
This is so exciting; the change in such a short amount of time. Jeff and I both love the picture where she is squating down and smiling so big. I know it will not be smooth sailing every minute but good job!!! Seems like I see books in every picture. She must be smart and a quick learner. Be safe and enjoy these last few days.
Love,
Sherry and Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I'm glad things are going better all the time. I'm sure the stroller alone will really help! Also, glad that your fellow travelers have been so helpful. I knew they would. It will be so nice to have the two children sitting by each other on the plane! I absolutely love the pictures. My favorites are Jordyn being checked by the doctor and the one of Jordyn sitting by the tree! Have a safe though long trip HOME!
Fondly,
Linda Waterman