Monday, July 20, 2009

A Look Back: July 20th, 2008



I made it to the airport but had to unpack when I got there! My suitcase weighed 52 something pounds. They charge an incredible amount for the extra weight, so I took things out and handed them to my father and stepmother right there in the terminal. They walked off carrying sandals, books, and I can't remember what else. The flight to Beijing was LONG! United seats are so close together that you cannot bend your knees. I stood in the back of the plane for most of the 13 hours. There were many Chinese people on the flight - some I talked to were going over to work at the Olympics which begins soon. I'm not completely sure of our flight path but it looked like we went straight up on the map - over Greenland maybe? - then we went over Russia and finally into China. At some point in the flight, the food turned to Chinese - noodles, chopsticks, etc. It was strange deboarding in a foreign county. The Beijing airport is large and there were lots of people. I was to look for a person holding an America World sign. Finally, I see her - what a wonderful sight. She has already found the other America World people on the flight - a couple who I saw in Washington! I had NO idea that they were with America World, but I did wonder if they were adopting because they had a neck wallet like I did. We chat all the way to the hotel. They are adopting a 2 year old little boy - their second adoption from China. We get to the hotel and discover that our rooms are next door to each other! We are too exhausted to do much else than update our blogs. It is Sunday afternoon here - we left our homes on Saturday morning. Monday morning, we will be leaving to fly to the provinces where our children are. The other 11 families are here in the hotel. They went to the Great Wall today and then out to dinner. There will be 6 other families flying to Nanchang with me. They are all adopting infants. I will meet them in the morning - right now, I plan to sleep!

No comments: